Since Joel believes the Genesis 12:1-3 promise to Abraham about blessing Israel holds true even today, I was interested when I saw on page 242 that the author wrote the following:
According to the Scriptures, blessing Israel means
- praying for the peace of Jerusalem (Psalm 122:6)
- bringing good news of God's love to the afflicted (Isaiah 61:1)
- rebuilding the ancient ruins (Isaiah 61:4)
- caring for the poor (Deuteronomy 15:11)
- being a "light to the nations" of the Middle East (Isaiah 49:6, NASB) -- that is, blessing Israel's neighbors and her enemies, not just Israel herself
Pretty interesting book. I'll be eager to see if the author is correct as I scan the news headlines in the coming months or years.