"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Matthew 11:28-30 -- Come, Take & Learn

Finally! Finally I reached the end of Matthew 11 after dragging it out all these days! Remember Jesus had said that puzzling thing about the Son knowing the Father and the Father knowing the Son which compelled me to write "what part of 'know' don't you understand." Jesus said, "...no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him," then he offers this invitation.

28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Rest for our souls? Ahhh, divine! Sounds rather nice in this age of conflicts abroad and at home, doesn't it? Some commentary ...


Monticello, Virginia ~ July 3, 2010
Picture taken by my brother

"Come." The Pharisees all said "Do!" and tried to make the people follow Moses and the traditions. But true salvation is found only in a Person, Jesus Christ. To come to Him means to trust Him. This invitation is open to those who are exhausted and burdened down. That is exactly how the people felt under the yoke of pharisaical legalism.

1Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2"The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. 3So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. 4They tie up heavy loads and put them on men's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them. (Matthew 23)

and also Peter:

10"Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear?" (Acts 15)


"Take." This is a deeper experience. When we come to Christ by faith, He gives us rest. When we take His yoke and learn, we find rest, that deeper rest of surrender and obedience. The first is "peace with God" (Rom. 5:1); the second is "the peace of God" (Phil. 4:6-8). To "take a yoke" in that day meant to become a disciple.

1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, (Romans 5)

and this is one of my favorite passages in the Bible. It's another that I tend to quote to myself when I'm troubled by those crazy nighttime fears of "what if something happens to my family?" and so forth. Notice the reference to "the peace of God" and about what things we should think.

6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. (Philippians 4)


"Learn." This step is a process. As we learn more about Him, we find a deeper peace, because we trust Him more. Life is simplified and unified around the person of Christ.


Simplicity, unity, peace and rest ... sounds pretty stinkin' good, doesn't it?

28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." ~ Jesus Christ




Bolded gray stuff from pg. 41, The Bible Exposition Commentary, volume 1 by Warren W. Wiersbe

3 comments:

Lat said...

Beautiful verses full of profound meaning!Loved it!

Yes,come,take and learn!

Susanne said...

Thanks, Lat! I'm glad you liked that. :)

Aazar Ali Shad said...

Hi..........This is Aazar from Pakistan. It would like to follow your blog. It would be great having some intellectual discussion with you. Sharing of views. I liked the way you write. I am following you. Hoping that you will do the same. here is my link. www.aazarshad.blogspot.com.
I would love to hear you.
Thanks.
Regards,
Aazar Ali Shad