"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Monday, October 8, 2012

Five!

Just think five years ago right now, I didn't even know how my life would change the next day when I opened a private message "From Damascus" that was sent to me on a MySpace account I'd had all of three months.  I mentioned the Middle East on my profile, and something must have prompted Samer to contact me.  His note was a slight challenge, albeit very polite.

On October 9, 2007 I read the message, wrote him back, and he wrote me back within an hour. It was during Ramadan so he was up despite the seven hour time difference.  I remember wondering if he were legit. What are the odds that some Muslim Arab guy in Syria would write me?  Was he one of those internet weirdos they warn you about on the news?

Maybe so, but we became fast friends. Family really. And I'm thankful for three times we've met in real life. Once in Syria (where we met his mom, brothers and sister, and friends) and twice now in Germany.

I'm thankful to God for what he has taught me - and where He has taken me - through knowing Samer!

Eagle's Nest - August 2012

3 comments:

Amber said...

Random people from other countries never talk to me! :( :(

Happy friend-iversary to you and Samer!

Qusay said...

Too cool :)ur

jaraad said...

Indeed the world is a small village. I am glad you meet someone as nice as Samer. I am sure you know a lot about Arabs now. Hopefully, good things though :)