1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
went to the top of the Eiffel Tower at night
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any that I recall. I decided just the other day (December 26) to keep a gratitude/service journal of sorts. I want to be less negative in 2014 by focusing on all the good things in life.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I wasn't super-close to her, but a blogger friend died in late May. I'd been following her blog for a few years.
5. What countries did you visit?
France and Belgium
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
less negativity, more serving others
7. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 19/20 -- it was this day that Samer's mom died (it was the 20th in Dubai, but due to the time difference I was online on the afternoon of the 19th when he told me via Gmail chat)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I can't think of any achievement
9. What was your biggest failure?
doing little to make the world better
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Andrew's - he's most always a cheerful, helpful guy
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Have I ever mentioned that I am not a "really, really, really excited about" type of person? But I really enjoyed our trips (mostly to the NC mountains and beach).
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2013?
the made-up "Zachariah Mordecai-yuh" song that Zach and I sing in my car; the other version is "Zacharooshka Mooshkatooshka Zah kuh roosh kuh....kuh, kuh, kuh"
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or sadder?
iii. Thinner of fatter?
v. richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
helping the poor; making a difference
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent it with my inlaws for lunch, and my family in the evening at Mema's apartment. We played Taboo and Apples to Apples with my family.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
The Amazing Race -- I love seeing other parts of the world, their cultures and the people -- sometimes I see a place I've actually been (like Vienna in the last season)
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
This is always a tough one for me because how can I pick the best out of dozens of books? Among my favorites were
Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes by E. Randolph Richards and Brandon J. O'Brien
Coming Home to Jerusalem by Wendy Orange
Stolen Years: Twenty Years in a Desert Jail by Malika Oufkir and Michele Fitoussi
Evolving in Monkey Town: How a Girl Who Knew All the Answers Learned to Ask the Questions by Rachel Held Evans
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls -- I'm not sure why I liked this book so much, but my sister just finished it and said she enjoyed it as well. It's amazing what some kids endure!
Look Me In the Eye: My Life with Asperger's by John Elder Robison -- This wasn't the most interesting book ever, but I learned quite a lot from this book so I feel it was among my most worthwhile reads of this year.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
26. What did you want and get?
books, memory cards, trips to the mountains and beach, many things!
27. What was your favorite film of this year?
28. What did you do on your birthday?
I took Zach and Michael to the local children's museum
29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
30. What kept you sane?
several short trips just to get away and enjoy nature
31. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
32. What political issue stirred you the most?
Syria especially when Obama was talking about getting rid of the chemical weapons
33. Who did you miss?
34. Who was the best new person you met?
David - a Korean guy we met at our hostel in Paris. He spent our first day with us.35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
be quick to extend grace and mercy
* kidding! just seeing if you were paying attention! I find that a silly question.