"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

June Books

 

Hieroglyphics by Jill McCorkle -- A book of reminiscing mostly. I'm really not sure what else, but it's told from the perspectives of a fearful single mother, Shelley; her son Harvey; and an older couple, Frank and Lil.



People Like Her by Ellery Lloyd -- Emmy is one of those Instamums followed by over a million people in Instagram. Told from the point of view of Emmy and her husband Dan, plus someone who is keeping track of their lives for a nefarious reason. Pretty good.


The Life Lucy Knew by Karma Brown -- After Lucy falls on ice and lands in the hospital, in a coma, everyone is thrilled when she regains consciousness. Unfortunately a case of confabulated memory disorder means Lucy is no longer in love with her coworker Matt, and thinks she is happily married to Daniel, her former fiancé. Oh my.


The Chanel Sisters by Judithe Little -- The story of Gabrielle (aka Coco) Chanel and her sisters as told by Antoinette. This was on the new book shelf when I was in a mad dash to get a few books before the library was closed for Memorial Day. Pretty good story even if I'm not a fan of Coco Chanel. It was interesting reading a bit about her.



A Good Mother by Lara Bazelon -- Abby and Will are tasked with defending a nineteen-year-old mother, Luz, who is charged with killing her husband, an American serviceman stationed in Germany. Decent book.


The Crow's Call by Wanda Brunstetter -- This is book 1 in the Amish Greenhouse Mystery series. Sometimes I need a break from the ultra-modern books filled with bad words so I read a book by one of these Christian ladies who write books about Amish life. I've read some of her other books, and recognized some of the characters in this book (though I couldn't remember all of their backstories.)  Amy steps up to the plate to help her mom and younger brother when three family members are killed when a truck hits a buggy. A decent story, nothing overly-exciting.



Sunburn by Laura Lippman -- Adam was hired as a PI, and ends up falling for the woman - Polly? Pauline? - he's been keeping an eye on. An ok story.


Our Darkest Night by Jennifer Robson -- A young Jewish woman, Antonina, is taken into hiding as the wife of a farmer in a small Italian village, during World War II.  Good story.



Local Woman Missing by Mary Kubica -- A good thriller/mystery book by an author I'd not read before. Told from the points of view of Kate, Deliliah, Leo, and Meredith. Two ladies and one child go missing eleven years prior when the little girl, now 17, is found the story of what happened to the women is in everyone's mind again.



Pretty Guilty Women by Gina LaManna -- Four college friends meet at a posh spa as part of Whitney's wedding week! When a man is found dead, Detective Ramone gets to know more of the story as told by Ginger, Lulu, Elsie, Kim, and others at the resort. Good suspense story.



The Orchard House by Heidi Chiavaroli -- Pretty good story alternating between current Concord, Mass, residents, Victoria and her adopted sister Taylor, and Johanna Suhre, correspondent friend to Lousia May Alcott.



The Most Dangerous Place on Earth by Lindsey Lee Johnson -- High school can be a terrifying place. I'm sure my experience was atypical, but I loved high school and am so grateful my experiences were nothing like this book. I did not enjoy it.



Setting Free the Kites by Alex George -- Told from the perspective of middle schooler Robert, it's the story of friendship and bullies and losses and first jobs and tough family situations. Good story.



The Drowning Kind by Jennifer McMahon -- Her books often have a bit of a spooky, supernatural aspect to them, and this is no exception. In this case the spooky aspect involved a pool made of natural springs of black water in the Green Mountains of Vermont. It alternates between Ethel's thoughts from the 1920s to the present-day telling by Jax who comes back to Vermont when her sister is found drowned in the pool.  Pretty good story.


The Rose Code by Kate Quinn -- I enjoyed this story about Mab, Beth, and Osla who met when they worked at Bletchley Park during World War II, in jobs they could tell no one about. A good batch of characters, interesting work...good book!



The Other Mrs. by Mary Kubica -- A suspenseful book about a family that moves from Chicago to an island off the coast of Maine after Will's sister commits suicide and leaves her house and custody of her 16 year old daughter to him. This book is told mostly in the voices of Sadie, Camille, and a little girl referred to as Mouse. Pretty good.



I read the first 3 chapters (70ish pages) of Bridgerton The Duke and I and didn't enjoy it so I gave up on it. I may have enjoyed it if I kept reading, but I just felt it was a waste of time as I had other books to read so I returned it to the library. 



I'm so glad I ditched Bridgerton for these two...

If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name by Heather Lende -- "news from small-town Alaska" written by an obituary writer and long-time resident of Haines, Alaska. She and her husband left the Northeast for their honeymoon in Alaska "and never left." Pretty interesting tales about her life up there, and people in her small town. I see the library has other books, newer ones and I hope to read them as well. This one was a Staff Favorite - a new feature on the online library catalog - so I decided to try it since I usually enjoy memoirs like this.


In the Garden of Spite by Camilla Bruce -- "A Novel of The Black Widow of La Porte" by a Norwegian author of "speculative and historical fiction."  Such an interesting story about Belle Gunness, a woman from Norway who came to the Chicago area in the 1800s to join her older sister by the same name. Well, their names were Big and Little Brynhild, but both changed her name upon arrival. Older sis was Nellie in the US. (Why do parents give their living children the same name? Are there not enough names to go around?) Wow, what a fascinating story...you don't want to cross paths with Belle!  Good read.

2 comments:

Myrna said...

Those last two sound good! Except when I looked up the last one in WorldCat, it seems too scary for me! (It doesn't take much to reach too scary for me...) But I have put a hold on the Alaska one!

Susanne said...

It's not really *that* scary. Suspenseful books are often more scary to me, but this is just a lady who likes to kill men by butchering them. Really odd, but I kind of liked it. Ha!