"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Shine!

"Does it seem important to you that Christ calls us what He called Himself?"

This question from Charles Swindoll in Improving Your Serve made me stop and reflect this morning when I read it. The author is speaking of servants as light, and I believe we all remember Jesus' words in John 8:12 where He says, "I am the light of the world."

And then He tells us in the Sermon on the Mount

14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." -- Matt. 5

I think it's cool how our good works will make others glorify God! I remember reading awhile back about followers of Christ in a hostile nation. The people recognized something different about the believers and one man said, "You have Jesus in your eyes." I always thought that was really neat and wanted Jesus in my eyes as well! Being light and having The Light shining out of my eyes is a glorious thought!

On page 137 in the book, under the "I am responsible" paragraph, I was challenged by this thought about my responsibility in not letting my light be hidden. "We refuse to become ... 'rabbit-hole Christians' ... popping out of our holes and racing from our insulated caves to all-Christian gatherings only to rush back again. For salt to be tasted and for light to be seen, we must make contact."

I believe this stood out to me because often I do go from Christian gathering to Christian gathering and seldom have a lot of contact with others. Well, I was like this more years ago and I'm not quite as much that way now, I suppose. Still, it made me think.

In order to spread my light and salt, I need to make contact with others. I can't stay only in my Christian circles or stay alone all the time.

Hmmm.

1 comment:

Angela said...

When you enter into the daycare, I have written on my screen door,,you are the salt of the earth...and when you leave it states...you are the light of the world.