"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Saturday, May 29, 2010

May Books

It's nearly the end of another month so I figured it was time to post the few books I finished in May. It looks like I didn't do much reading, but if you notice my previous posts you will realize I have been reading quite a bit. Just didn't finish the translation of the Quran that has taken my attention the last several days. Additionally I've been reading two other books that I'll, hopefully, complete in time for the June listing of books finished.

I'll try to slow down a bit on posting notes from the Quran. I realize I've been reading and posting like a maniac so I will take a Chill Pill and force myself to calm down. You'd think being a Southerner I would have this trait down pat. Alas, it's only a stereotype. Southerners, in fact, are quite feisty go getters when they have a "cause." And here lately, my "cause" has been reading and posting about the chapters I've read from the Quran. Sorry if I've driven you crazy as you've tried to keep up. I just get so excited about sharing new things and asking for your help in understanding! :-)

Another interesting book I've been reading -- it's over 400 pages -- is God & Government by Charles Colson. It's a book I bought well over a year ago that has sat on my shelf daring me to pick it up and read it! So I finally decided it was time. I have a super-duper, fantastic bit from it to share in the coming days. It was a wonderful example of true Christlike living by the Poles in relation to the murder of their beloved priest, Father Jerzy Popieluszko , by the Communist regime in October 1984. Stay tuned for that post. I absolutely loved that part of this book!


Enough chitchat, here are the few books I finished in May.


Mountain Top
is a novel by Robert Whitlow -- it's setting is the NC mountains and the main characters are lawyer-turned-pastor Mike Andrews and his client, Sam Miller; the book says this about itself

"Supernatural visions filled with images of keys, hatchets, hammers and fires. An eccentric old man in jail -- accused of robbing a church and knowing things he has no right to know. A lawyer turned pastor -- suddenly summoned to a stranger's cell by a dream. How much will one man risk to defend another, when the truth lands him in prison ... and the only evidence proving his innocence comes by a dream?"

This book was a good reminder to love all people - even those who want to do evil against you.



American Taliban by Pearl Abraham -- The story of how John, an all-around American college student with a love of surfing, skating techniques, reading and learning ended up fighting in Afghanistan. This is more a story of how one was slowly reeled into a certain mindset, not in any forceful or evil ways, but by decisions he made to further his education, visit places, follow adventure and strive to be like his "hero," Sir Richard Burton. Interesting novel. At times it made me want to be immersed in a different culture as John was just to experience how others live.


The Last Day -- a novel by James Landis -- a young soldier spends a day - his last one on earth - reviewing his life with Jesus

"When you're at war, you don't know if you're fighting for the dead or for the living. Then one day you realize you fight to keep the dead alive as much as to keep the living from becoming dead. The same as Jesus. He redeems my soul from the power of the grave." (pg. 175)

"The Mahdi Army was Shiite. The Omar Brigade was Sunni. They killed each other. They killed their children. Their own children -- because when they killed their enemies, their enemies killed their children. The whole place was a vengeance factory." (pg. 250)



Rainwater by Sandra Brown -- Ella's life as a boarding house owner and operator is changed when a new boarder enters her house for a short time. This is a story set in the Depression-era South touching on racial issues and also the difference people can make when they care to get involved. Solly, Ella's son, reminds me of a young child I met one time with autism. So many characteristics of Solly remind me of things I saw in Grant -- sensitivity to touch, fixating on things, the tantrums. This book reminded me of the hardships many people endure when they have special-needs children who are misunderstood by society.

2 comments:

Wafa said...

thanks for the review Susanne, i think i will look for the last one "rainwater" :)

Susanne said...

Wafa', it's really a sweet story. I can see you liking it. :)