"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Thursday, November 14, 2019

DNA Update November 2019 Edition

This is the second time my DNA Origins have changed since I submitted my saliva to Ancestry.com and got my original results back in August 2016. Back then I was stunningly Europe South at 35%, but since then I had a more realistic update which made me quite a bit more English and only 18% Italian (which was in the former Europe South category.) Now I'm even more English (53%) and less Italian (12%).

My dad, however, stayed with the surprisingly high Italian (his #1 all three times).


ORIGINAL
1. Europe South -- 47% 

SEPT 2018 UPDATE
2. Italian -- 47% and Greece and the Balkans -- 5% (refined from Europe South)

NOVEMBER 2019 UPDATE
3. Italian -- 48% and Greece and the Balkans -- 4%


I'll post our updates below so I can keep track of how they've changed. The biggest change I saw in my family was with my nephew Michael whose 2nd result (2018) had France as his highest at 37%. This time: France is a mere THREE percent.  I do like how the Indigenous Americas is being broken down more now and is reflected in his results.



Also, Andrew, whose original results had him thinking he was royalty with 81% Great Britain...well, now he's just 66% English, etc., and become a lot more Irish or Scottish (his original had him at only 3% Irish).


Here are our latest updates as of today:

Me (3rd result)



My nephew, Michael  (3rd result)



My dad (3rd result)




My mom (3rd result)



Andrew (3rd result)



My aunt (2nd result; she just took the test this year)



Edited to add my brother's DNA. He just had his tested in September and already has an update. He was nice to put it side by side for comparison purposes.

Daniel:


2 comments:

Myrna said...

Huh. Are the tests getting more accurate? Interesting to see the differences.

Susanne said...

They say the DNA doesn't change, but the science - and how they figure it all out based on their reference panels does.

For instance:

"You could see new regions.

When AncestryDNA launched in 2012, we compared your DNA against 22 possible regions. We now have more than 500."

If you are interested, the FAQs might be helpful:

https://www.ancestry.com/cs/dna-help/ethnicity/faq