1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Went to Syria for twelve days
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any resolutions really. I do recall now that I wanted to live by faith, not fear, and I think I did better than some years, PTL! Next year...I won't read any books that urge me to chase the Wild Goose.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Turkey (airport only) and Syria
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
a purpose in life
7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February 10 -- my last day in Syria -- such a sweet, sweet day, but oh so sad!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I think actually getting on that plane for Syria was a huge deal for someone who has never traveled west of Tennessee. :-)
9. What was your biggest failure?
all the times I was selfish
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
got bit by a dog for the first time in my life -- neighbor's Doberman "pinched" me on St. Patrick's Day (I wasn't wearing green!)
11. What was the best thing you bought?
plane ticket to Syria
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Michael's. Back in January he had to get stitches because he put his arm through a glass door. Although it was bleeding terribly and he hates the sight of blood, he didn't panic, but just told himself over and over, "Don't pass out, don't pass out." Thank God, he did well in the ER. His blood pressure got so low and he wanted to sleep, but we had him sing "Blessed Be the Name of the Lord" and that helped!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2009?
"God of this City" and "Who Shot the Sheriff" -- the latter we heard in an SUV in Syria on the way home from Krac des Chevaliers
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or sadder?
iii. Thinner or fatter?
v. richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
serving and loving others
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
it's over for this year
21. How many one-night stands?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
24, I guess
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don't hate anyone that I can think of.
24. What was the best book you read?
A Thousand Splendid Suns, Wild Goose Chase and Three Cups of Tea were three of my favorites
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
"I'd Need a Savior"
26. What did you want and get?
27. What was your favorite film of this year?
I'm not a movie person and can't recall what I watched except for "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" and "Fireproof."
28. What did you do on your birthday?
Ack, I can't remember what I did. Must not have been that exciting.
29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
typical Susie mostly, but Arabian Susie earlier in the year
30. What kept you sane?
my faith and God's encouragement
31. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I'm not big on celebs, but if I had to pick I'd say Kurt Warner has always been dear to my heart.
32. What political issue stirred you the most?
The policitians' out-of-control spending and debt they are putting on other people's children
33. Who did you miss?
my Syrian friends
34. Who was the best new person you met?
Wasim, Barea, Dania in Syria and my new blogging friends like Amber, Sarah, Suroor and Wafa' -- I can't remember meeting anyone new here in North Carolina *thinking*
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:
Basically when it seems you are at the end of your rope and feel "where else can I turn?" - this:
66From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.
67"You do not want to leave too, do you?" Jesus asked the Twelve.
68Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."
I won't tag anyone, but if you read this and want to do it, feel free. I'd love to read your answers.