"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Sunday, February 14, 2010

"Uncleansed Love"

Since it's Valentine's Day, it seems appropriate to talk about love.

But, this post will not discuss the kind of love most celebrate on this holiday. Instead I wanted to share a quote from a publication I read the other day. In it, the author writes, "An uncleansed love ... is a love that takes the place in one's heart that rightfully belongs to God alone."

The article concludes with this thought-provoking statement by Tim Keller:

Why is getting your heart's desire so often a disaster? In the book of Romans, Saint Paul wrote that one of the worst things God can do to someone is to "give them over to the desires of their hearts" (Romans 1:24). Why would the greatest punishment imaginable be to allow someone to achieve their fondest dream? It is because our hearts fashion these desires into idols. In that same chapter, Paul summarized the history of the human race in one sentence: "They worshipped and served created things rather than the Creator" (Romans 1:25). Every human being must live for something. Something must capture our imaginations, our heart's most fundamental allegiance and hope. But, the Bible tells us, without the intervention of the Holy Spirit, that object will never be God himself.


I think we all can think of times we followed our desires and wished desperately we could go back and redo some things we did. Or maybe we - along with Garth Brooks - thank God for unanswered prayers because we realized those things we wanted would have been disastrous!


This post also goes along with Finally Letting the Dream Die from yesterday.

It shouldn't even need to be mentioned, but in case someone read my post thinking "wow, this is a hard life? Not having friends to talk with face-to-face is worth complaining about?", let me just say...I know compared to 95% of the world my life is a piece of cake so I shouldn't even be complaining to God about such things. Alas, I am still an immature, spoiled person in many ways so I at times struggle with discontentment despite all the many blessings I have in life. And, yes, when I read about the children of Israel complaining to Moses about things I often see myself as one of those dreaded murmurers. Blah.

9 comments:

Wafa said...

maybe if we got what we desired most then our life would lost its meaning or it would be complete before its time to do so. You know i never wished that some of my answered prayers were unanswered, and i am not complaining, but sometimes i wish that my life is full, or at least i don't need anything but i can not. Maybe this is some kind of love from God !! who knows, maybe i am blessed more than i know.

thanx susanne for the lovely thoughts :)

And Happy Valentine :)

Unknown said...

I can relate to this one, definitely. And it's difficult to let go of those things, once they're there. They have hooks and get caught in our lives.

I like the "thank God for unanswered prayers" thing, I don't think I'd heard it before. I'll have to keep it in mind when I think I really want/need something.

Becky W said...

Awesome. I love Tim Keller and listen to a lot of his sermons.

May I ask where you read this article (and what is the title/author?)

Thanks!

Suroor said...

What an excellent post reminding what we shouldn't forget. Thanks for this and hope you had a great Valentine's day! It was my wedding anniversary yesterday :)

Susanne said...

Wafa', and thank you for sharing YOUR lovely thoughts. I think most of us are blessed more than we realize. Or else there's always someone out there worse off than we. Happy Valentine's to you as well. :)

Sanil, I know you are so busy with school so I really am grateful when you drop by and leave a comment. Thank you so much. :)

Glad/sorry (?) you can relate...lol!

Susanne said...

Rhwimer, welcome and thanks for your comment. I read the article in a local church's monthly publication. I thought the idea of "uncleansed love" was interesting and found the Tom Keller quote *really* thought-provoking! Enough that I wanted to note it here. :)

Susanne said...

Suroor, what a wonderful day to get married! Hope you and your sweetie had a great anniversary! <3

Thanks for your comment. I always enjoy your feedback. :)

Niki said...

I often just open my Bible and start reading from wherever my eyes "land". Your post reminded me of what I read last night:

Mark 8:34-37
"And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
"Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?"

Susanne,
You know what I've been going through for the past several months. And there was a period of a few days recently where something I heard a preacher say once a few years ago kept playing over and over in my head: "If you'll get involved in God's stuff, He'll get involved in your stuff."

This scripture reminded me of that. Make God the center of your life and your reason for living. Focus on God and allow Him to fix what you do not have the power to fix.

Susanne said...

Niki, wow, that's a great passage and wonderful "challenge" from you. Thanks SO MUCH for sharing it with me! I really needed that.