Sura 29 - al - 'Ankabut
"The Spider" starts off with a great question.
2. Do men think they will get away by saying: "We believe," and will not be tried?
It made me think of James and the whole faith without works is dead thing. Basically it's not simply saying "Sure, I believe." Well, in a sense it might be, however, this belief will produce good deeds. Willllll, will, will! None of this "I believe," but your life is as sorry as it always was. A living faith works.
I always think it's funny how the Quran points out all of Lot's family would be saved except his wife who was destined to stay behind. I've seen it in other suras and twice here! (vs. 32 &33) What's the deal with not liking Lot's wife? I especially like the "old woman" reference in one of the suras I've read. Cracks me up. :)
This sura makes mention just a bit of Noah, Abraham, Lot, Moses, Shu'aib and Thalmud and also speaks of a spider.
41. The semblance of those who take protectors besides God is that of the spider. She arranges a house for herself, but the flimsiest of houses is the spider's. If only they had sense!
On another blog I was reading the other day about how there are more women in hell according to Islamic tradition. Today I found out why!
They say women tend to be more emotional than men, right? I know it's gender stereotyping perhaps and there are exceptions, but generally speaking women are a bit more emotional than our male counterparts. Men, they say, are more logic-minded. Women, the caregivers and nurturers. So, I saw these verses ...
43. These are precepts of wisdom We offer to men, but only those who are rational understand. 44. God has created the heavens and the earth with reason. Surely in this is a sign for those who believe.
and found out that only the rational understand! Since men tend to be a bit more rational [and I will be the first to admit this is debatable], thus it makes sense for Islamic scholars to say that hell has more women! Like my logic there? ;)
Sura 30 ar-Rum
I liked all the "there are signs in this for those who understand" verses. Anything from humans being dispersed everywhere, to our variety of colors and languages, to the signs in the sky, the breezes and rain. All signs for those who reflect and get it.
21. Another of His signs is that He created mates of your own kind of yourselves so that you may get peace of mind from them, and has put love and compassion between you. Verily there are signs in this for those who reflect.
The one about marriage was especially good and made me think of how marriage is treated in the Bible. Paul says it's a mystery of Christ and the Church. So when I read this quranic verse, I reflected and thought of this wonderful relationship of how Christ cherishes and cares for his Bride, the Church. He even gave his life for it. Thus he commands men to do the same for their wives.
28. He gives you an example from your own life: Do you possess among your dependants any partners in what We have bestowed on you, so that you and they have equal (share) in it, and that you fear them as you fear each other? That is how We explain Our signs clearly for those who comprehend.
Obviously I'm not one of those who can comprehend since this was supposed to be clear. Can one of you explain for me?