"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Just Stuff

I used my crock pot today and made potato soup!  I got the recipe from Cindy. I was so pleased when I learned I could use hash browns and didn't have to peel and chop potatoes since I am not good at either. It turned out quite well. Yay for me cooking something besides frozen pizza.  :-D  

Also I finished The Orthodox Church.  It's the fifth book I finished this month. I enjoyed it and feel I learned a good bit. Hope you didn't mind all the notes too much!  :)  I got The Appalachians at the library. I'm going to read it and Blood and Sand that I got for Christmas now.

I've had some of these random questions in drafts for months now. I will attempt to answer twelve of them now just for fun. 

1. Describe the best sandwich in the world, according to you.
fresh bread, cheese, maybe a bit of sliced turkey and lots of fresh vegetables; also a fresh tomato sandwich is great in the summer (bread, Duke's mayonnaise, garden tomato and black pepper)

2. Which inspires you more: a good conversation, a song, a book or movie?
Often I am inspired by things I read though songs also can be encouraging and inspirational. I don't watch enough movies to give them a chance!

3. What is your favorite board game?
I don't know that I have a favorite as I enjoy games mostly because I can spend time with people.  I've had a lot of fun times over board games and prefer playing games to watching movies with friends and family. Lots of laughter!

4. As you grow older, are you more or less patient with small children?
Hmmmm, about the same.  Maybe a tad more patient.

5. Name one item you never let yourself run out of.
I am one of those who rarely runs out of anything because I go ahead and buy when I notice something is getting low.  If I had to say though, toilet paper. We don't use bidets or our left hands.  Or at least I don't think so!  :)

6. Do you agree with Tennyson's assertion, "'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?"
Yes.  Life without love is rather worthless, I think.

7. Name one national treasure or monument that you have visited.
The Lincoln and Washington memorials as well as the Statue of Liberty

8. Which is more painful, to be disappointed in someone else or to be disappointed in yourself?
Hmmmm, probably others. 

9. What makes your kitchen uniquely yours?
The juicer that gets used six days a week for breakfast.

10. Are you a crafty person?
nope

11. What is your favorite traditional picnic or bbq (cookout) food?
hamburgers, dessert, chips -- yum, a picnic sounds good right about now!

12. Name one leisurely activity you enjoyed over the weekend.
I went to Michael's basketball game on Saturday around noon and enjoyed seeing some of my family there.


Don't you love it when Blogger won't change all your font to the same color despite the fact you selected everything to be the same?   Ah well.  :)    

9 comments:

Rebekka @ Becky's Kaleidoscope said...

Ack that drives me crazy too! Sometimes I just can't get the font the way I want it! Stupid Blogger...

I absolutely loved all your posts on the Orthodox Church. Thank you so much for sharing all your notes :)

Wafa said...

loved to know you more as always :)

Susanne said...

Becky, sorry you can relate! I selected all, hit red font color and some of it stayed purple! After a few tries, I knew Blogger won that round. :)

Thank you! I'm really glad you enjoyed TOC posts. I appreciated your feedback on those. You always had interesting things to add. :)


Wafa', I always think of you when I do these kinds of posts! :D I still have some questions from you last year that I plan to answer eventually. I want to clean out my Gmail drafts and doing your questions is part of the plan! ;)

Lat said...

Now I can't wait to read notes on Appalachians :)

It's great to know you a little more thru' this..and that one could do a potato soup.Can I have the recipe?

Susanne said...

Lat, I'm not sure how many notes I'll do since I'm mostly familiar with the Appalachians. I live only a couple hours from the mountains after all. :)

Here is the recipe. You could add more spicy stuff to it to suit your taste if you want.

----------------------------

I like this because I don't have to peel and chop potatoes! :) I added some Green Giant corn to my bowl before putting soup on top and it was good that way as well. Hope you like it also!

Crock Pot Potato Soup

8 cups shredded hash browns
8 oz cream cheese (softened)
3 cans (or boxes) 14.5 oz reduced fat chicken broth
1 can 10.7 oz cream of chicken soup
1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 lb. crumbled bacon (optional)
shredded cheddar cheese

Mix cream cheese, chicken soup, and part of the broth until smooth (I do this with my handheld mixer). Pour in crock pot, add hash browns, then add the remaining broth and pepper. Cook 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. Add bacon and cheese as garnish.

NOTES from Cindy: I buy the Ore-Ida frozen hash browns and just run cool water over them in a colander for about 5 minutes to thaw them. I have used cubed hash browns too. I usually add some finely chopped onion or dried onion to the cream cheese, soup, and broth mixture. I have used fat free cream cheese and it works well also. This mixture may look very watery and unappealing to you once you have loaded your crock pot. Trust me, after cooking the times listed, it will be wonderful after you stir it!

Lat said...

Oh! Thank you! I'll see if I could do this potato soup next week.i'm busy this weekend.Some of the ingredients are new to me like green giant corn.I only know one type and that's yellow and it's not a giant:) Or maybe i still have not seen one yet here.thank you so much again.

Btw,what is a crock pot? :)

Susanne said...

Lat, ha, ha! Green Giant is just a brand we have here. I'm talking of regular cooked yellow corn. You can use other vegetables or none at all if you want. And you could use your own real potatoes that you peel and shred yourself. I just used the frozen potatoes (hash browns) since they were easier. I'm all about easy! :)

A crock pot is a slow cooker. You could do it on top of the stove just reduce the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_cooker


I added a LOT more black pepper than called for here since I like things a tad spicier. And I added onion to mine. I ate the last bowl for lunch today!

Lat said...

Thank you! And I'm thinking of getting the ingredients tomorrow and inshaAllah will try out Croak pot soup and share with family :)

Susanne said...

Hopefully it will suit your tastes. You can tweak it to make it better perhaps. :)