"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Experiencing God -- chapter 3


This was the best picture I had of a branch bearing fruit. :-)





Doing God's Will -- Incredible chapter that spoke directly to some current questions that I have!

Instead of concerning myself with "What is God's will for my life?" which focuses the attention on myself, I need to ask "What is God's will?" God is doing things in the world, and I need to become involved in what HE is doing.

In reviewing examples from the Bible, we see that God does not always provide detailed instructions initially on what He wants people to do. (See Abram's story in Genesis 12:1-5 as an example.) Instead He wants us to walk with Him in a relationship -- day by day, hour by hour. Jesus simply told His disciples "Follow me" and He made those fishermen into "fishers of men."

The relationship with God must come first. Jesus said in John 15,

5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

a·bide [uh-bahyd]

1.to remain; continue; stay: Abide with me.
2.to have one's abode; dwell; reside: to abide in a small Scottish village.
3.to continue in a particular condition, attitude, relationship, etc.; last.


So really all I need to do is abide in Him ... every day, every hour.

"Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you" (Matthew 6:33).


Instead of trying to figure out what to do, where to go and what steps to take, I should abide in Jesus and let Him produce fruit in me in His timing.



No comments: