"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Monday, September 15, 2008

Experiencing God -- chapter 7

God Pursues A Love Relationship With You


This chapter focused on the love relationship that God pursues with us. He is always the initiator since none of us seek after God on our own. This chapter made me stop and ask if I really love God. I want to love Him, but how do I do it?

The author points out that the greatest commandment is to love God with all our hearts, minds, souls and strength. Everything else in my Christian life really goes back to this love relationship with the Father. This relationship will satisfy and fulfill our longings to DO something for Him. As we nurture this love relationship with Him, He will call us to obey whatever He has for us to do. If our relationship is strong, we will trust Him and obey without question just as we trust our earthly parents will not give us something to do that will harm us. I really liked this:

We are a "doing people. We feel worthless or useless if we are not busy doing something. The Scripture leads us to understand that God is saying, "I want you to love me above everything else. When you are in a relationship of love with Me, you have everything there is." To be loved by God is the highest relationship, the highest achievement, and the highest position in life.

That does not mean you will never do anything as an expression of your love for Him. God will call you to obey Him and do whatever He asks of you. However, you do not need to be doing something to feel fulfilled. You are fulfilled completely in a relationship with God. When you are filled with Him, what else do you need?


In the Biblical examples of Adam and Eve, the prophets, the Apostle Paul -- God always took the initiative. He sought out these people for fellowship and to use them.

I think I may write a post now of some ways these last couple of chapters have spoken to recent situations.


No comments: