"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Praying in Jesus' Name

In John 14:13, Jesus tells His followers "Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do." So what exactly does praying in Jesus' name mean? Does this mean if I say "in Jesus' name" I will get that beautiful new car I've been wanting, the promotion at work that many are seeking?

According to Dr. Charles Stanley in the In Touch devotional,

"[The] phrase 'in Jesus' name' isn't some magic incantation that automatically gets what a person desires. Rather, it is a way to ensure that hearts are right and requests are in line with God's will. When we ask in Jesus' name, we are telling Him we want an answer that is based upon His complete knowledge of our situation. Moreover, we are surrendering our desires to be denied, changed, or granted as He sees fit. . . . Believers are invited to tap into Jesus' power for the purpose of seeing His will done and His gospel spread."


I don't know about you, but I rather like that Jesus has
complete knowledge of my situation because there are times when I am confused about life's circumstances. I don't know what all is going on or how it will play out, but it's great to know that God does. And that He is in control. This was a good and somehow comforting reminder to me.


5 comments:

Sarah said...

That's interesting! Muslims of course say "bismillah" - in the name of God - and I had wondered about what it actually means. Thanks for posting an answer.

Wafa said...

it's good to let things in god's hands -whomever the god you are worshipping- and let it be. it's a relief to know that a kind power is taking care of you :)

Stacy K. said...

In the Semitic understanding, a person's name also means their character. So praying in Jesus' name could also mean aligning your desires to something that you know would be pleasing to him.

I have seen people use it more like an incantation, but I don't think that was the intent at all.

Unknown said...

Another way to look at it is Greco-Roman patronage language...asking for something "in someone's name" meant they approved of you. Having an influential person vouch for you meant you were more likely to be accepted and get what you needed. So when you come to God in Jesus' name, Jesus is vouching for you and you have the power that comes with him.

Susanne said...

Oooooh, I love learning from you ladies! Thank you for adding to the discussion by leaving your comments. They are all greatly appreciated!