"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Award & Obsessions

Sarah at Wrestling with Religion kindly gave me this blog award. Thank you! I recently met Sarah in "Blogland" and have greatly enjoyed her thought-provoking posts as she searches for spiritual guidance and truth. She often causes me to consider why I believe as I do. I always look forward to new posts because I feel challenged reading them and coming up with appropriate responses.


Here are the rules:

  • List five current obsessions.
  • Pass the award on to five more fabulous blogs.
  • On your post of receiving this award, make sure you include the person that gave you the award and link it back to them.
  • When you post your five winners, make sure you link them as well.
  • Don’t forget to let your winners know they won an award from you by leaving a comment on their blog.
My current obsessions

1. Reading blogs & books -- whereas I used to most always read Christian fiction books, the last two years I have read quite an assortment about Muslims, Islam, Christianity and so forth.

2. The Middle East -- It's always held some fascination to me since I grew up reading the Bible and trusting Jesus as my Lord and Savior, but it has become MUCH more of interest to me the last couple of years.

3. Damascus -- Syria that is. I was introduced to it in the context of the Apostle Paul's conversion as recorded in the Bible, but it has become a place that fills my heart and mind since God made this city extra-special to my life. I want to be there.

4. Foreigners -- I've always been infatuated with people who spoke differently, dressed differently, looked differently from what I am used to. I like accents and different cultures. I wish I had more foreigners where I live. My particular "foreigner love" presently belongs to Arabs, but I like others as well. Don't worry.

5. Figuring out God's purpose for me in life & where I can serve Him now -- I think this one speaks for itself, don't you? ;)


And here are the five blogs to whom I want to pass along this award. Since Sarah has already been chosen, I will select five others from my Google Reader. There are others I enjoy, but for now . . .

Little Steps Toward Home by Amber -- I discovered her blog earlier this year and have come to appreciate the variety of topics and Amber's great sense of humor. She is a recent convert to Catholicism, but posts a great deal about Orthodox Christianity as well. I find it all pretty interesting since I grew up in neither.

Emotions are Footprints in the Rain by Carmen -- A fairly new blog and not a lot there yet, but Carmen writes about her thoughts and books she reads in a way that challenges and/or encourages me.

Noctural Queen by Niki -- Since I tend to like reading about people's days and thoughts, I enjoy Niki's posts. Plus I know her personally so that helps.

The Batterson Blog by Mark -- I've read two of his books and found SO much good stuff in them. I was glad to find he has a blog. He writes short posts which often contain good things for me to ponder.

Musings of a Future Pastor's Wife by "Rachel" -- Not sure how I found her blog, but I enjoy reading "Rachel's" posts about her life in New Orleans. She is a great writer and covers a variety of subjects -- some lighthearted, some deep. I like the variety.


5 comments:

Stacy K. said...

I must have been born with my interest for Middle Eastern languages and religion too. I think there are many ways that God will continue to use you in the future. I hope you get to go back to Damascus soon!

Susanne said...

Thank you, Stacy. That was very encouraging and sweet to hear from you. :-)

You definitely could have made my list of five because you are one of my favorite newly-discovered blogs for sure! For now I added you to my sidebar when I updated it this afternoon.

Hope you are doing great. Thanks for your sweet comment. :)

Niki said...

Thank you. :-)

Amber said...

Hah. I like how you say 'come to appreciate'. I'm like aged cheese... you've gotta develop a taste for it. :)

Thanks! I shall get to this soon as I can!

Carmen S. said...

Thanks for including me. :) that was so sweet of you!