"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Five Things About Me

Amber tagged me in a Five Things About Me post. Let me think of some random things that I've not shared before....hmmm.

1. About six years ago I met a group of ladies at Babycenter.com in the daily name poll section. Someone from Canada did a poll about the women who regularly voted and commented. Several of us started commenting more and more in that thread until we became friends. About a dozen of us still keep in touch on our own private Yahoo site. I have many of them as Facebook friends and read blogs for a couple who have them.

2. I am the only one of the group mentioned above who does not have children. I've just always liked names so I'd visit the site and vote and read/leave comments.

3. My brother in law is from Venezuela and did not grow up speaking English though you'd never guess that now. A few years ago when I decided to take Spanish at the community college, I remember him laughing at my southern-accent Spanish. :-P

4. The church I attended growing up was KJV-only so I grew up familiar with this particular version of the English Bible. And I liked it fine. However, a few years ago it dawned on me that not everyone understands English from the 1600s so I shouldn't be adamant that they only read the Authorized Version. I'm rather tired of that us-vs.-them attitude in churches. We should not focus on such trivial matters, though I know to them it's not trivial. Still. Here is MY thinking: I remember being taught that ages ago the Catholic church wanted to keep the Bible in Latin so the common people couldn't read it for themselves. That way only the church leaders could dictate what God's Word says. So fastforward to our time and I thought, "Hmm, if people cannot understand the KJV yet some church leaders insist it be kept in this old language, are we not similar to the church leaders of old?" Because *I* grew up reading, listening to and memorizing the old KJV and still don't understand all its words. How do you explain "charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up" to someone today -- especially if he/she is not a native English speaker?

5. I grew up in a Christian school from 4 years old 'til I graduated at 18. During that time I went to school with only one black person. So for my diversity-loving self, I grew to appreciate the Yankees that invaded my school especially during my freshman year. I still remember when Adam from Connecticut called me a redneck. :-)

Anyone who wants to do this, feel free. Let me know so I can read what you write.

2 comments:

Marcus said...

I completely understand your thoughts on No. 4. I've had a bad taste in my mouth with the KJV only mentality ever since I went on a church trip to a camp that had the slogan on all of their vehicles and materials "Use the Bible that God uses - The KJV 1611" For those die-hard KJV fans, I can't for the life of me figure out why they don't just take it a step further and advocate only the reading of the Greek and Hebrew. If you really want to throw a KJV only-er a curve ball, start asking their opinion on the Reina-Valera - the Spanish translation predating the KJV. I love it now that I can kinda somewhat read the Greek. Fun to keep the pastor on his toes by sitting on the front pew and making sure he sees that you fervently flipping through a Greek translation - gotta be careful though, it's not nearly as effective when he's reading in the Old Testament;)

Susanne said...

Oh that last sentence was so funny! :-D :-D :-D Thanks for chiming in on this issue. I'm glad I'm not alone in my thoughts. It's almost as if the KJV is some sort of idol. When it becomes a point of division .. well, who needs MORE divisions in the Church? Blah!

Good hearing from you! Are you still blogging?