"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Weakest Link

In one of the chapters in Signs of Life, author David Jeremiah discusses the rich young ruler who asked Jesus what he must do to inherit eternal life. Remember this moral young man had kept the law since his youth, but Jesus asked him to do one last thing and then come follow Jesus.

Dr. Jeremiah writes: "The young man had kept the external requirements of the law, yet sensed in his heart that it wasn't enough to gain eternal life. Jesus loved him for his honest search and transparent inquiry. But when Jesus moved the conversation from external proficiencies to internal priorities, the young ruler's face fell. Jesus had focused on the weakest link in the chain that the young man had hoped would anchor him to heaven's gate." (pg. 183)

Makes me wonder about the weakest link in my chain. What am I having a hard time surrendering to the Lord before I follow Him?

3 comments:

Carmen S. said...

"But when Jesus moved the conversation from external proficiencies to internal priorities"

Ouch! Man, your blog always challenges me. It's easy to have the talk. Quoting answers or knowledge comes natural to some.

In Sunday school too weeks ago, we talked about the differences of being wise and using wisdom. The first, the accumulation of knowledge, the second....the application of it.

Seems this rich young ruler had the knowledge and even thought he was doing it all by following the rules. Perhaps the head knowledge stuck there and never became heart knowledge. He couldn't make the transition and I will admit that I often have a hard time too.

Susanne said...

Me, three!

My blog challenges me, too. That's why I often copy what I do. They are things that challenged me or really spoke to my heart somehow. I'm glad they do the same for you.

I have really been having SURRENDER come up a lot lately. You think God is trying to tell me something??

Angela said...

I listen to David Jeremiah quite often on the radio....powerful messages.