"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Damascus -- The Last Day

Six weeks ago today was our last day in Damascus. It was chilly and rainy. I'm talking buckets of rain or it seemed that way to me since there were puddles everywhere in Old Damascus and on the roads. I was very glad it had not been this way during most of our visit since we walked a great deal daily. Thankfully, despite the cold rain, we had a lovely time though I had a very sad morning dealing with the fact we were only hours from leaving the place - and people - we'd grown to love. When I first arrived in Damascus, I was in mild cultural shock. I remember thinking, "OK, God, I came. Hopefully, I can deal with this place the next 12 days and then be back in my comfortable, familiar home." But after only a couple of days, I felt I was at my second home. And as the day of departure drew nearer I was sad as I thought of leaving.

On that Tuesday afternoon we took a taxi and visited Samer's family at their house. They had a nice assortment of appetizers and sweets for us to enjoy.


I really like this picture of me with Dania and Samer's mom.
They were so very kind!



Andrew with the twins, Samer & Barea


Barea was so kind to let me borrow his laptop so I could send my sister a birthday greeting. I was not able to visit the internet cafe' due to the rain. Barea showed us some of his pictures from his time in London. (The wax museum is so cool!)


Basem was very thoughtful to take time out of his studying to meet us. I am glad to report that he passed his exam for the highest British certificate! Congratulations on this wonderful achievement!


This visit to Samer's house holds a very special place in my heart. I pray for God's blessings on this precious family. I hope to see them again one day.

Pictures from Damascus, Syria
February 10, 2009

No comments: