"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Feelings or Faith?

"What you do, rather than what you say you believe, reveals what you really believe about God."


Read that statement again. Slowly.


Just yesterday I wrote these words while writing a review of a chapter in the book I am reading (see previous post). It seems here lately I have been reading and talking a lot about walking by faith. Either I've been reminded by others or I have been reminding others. So now comes the time for SUSANNE to live by faith and not just talk or read about it.

This morning I got some unexpected news that saddened me instantly. I think any normal human in my situation would have reacted the same. For several minutes - maybe an hour - I felt so many emotions ranging from despair to fear to frustration to sadness and confusion. I questioned my motives, my pride, how I needed to respond to someone, how I needed to fight if necessary. I had my emotional questioning time . . . and then I went for a walk so I could talk to my God.

As I prayed, He brought to mind all the things I have been studying and teaching lately about living by faith or by sight. Is it enough for me to just say that you have to have faith, and then not live it? I want to tell you how the Lord encouraged me.

I remembered the words from Scripture about God fighting the battle for His people. I realize that I do not have to have the answers to refute every single point. I am not a great debater. I am not the convincer. In fact, I don't want to be. My God has promised that the battle is not mine; it's His. I am not the one who draws men to God; He does. I do not reveal to men that Jesus is the Son of God; He does that, too.

What a load off of me!

Naturally I want God to work in one way and take care of this situation. But I learned something from my walk -- even if God doesn't answer in the way that I want, I can trust Him still.

I am not going to live by my emotions and only say I walk by faith. With God's help, I will walk by faith. I will please God by that. He is worthy of my faith because He has proven Himself faithful to me over and over again. I rejoice in my relationship with Him, and I know HE will work everything out to glorify Himself. This is not about Susanne being happy or getting the glory.

This is all about Him.

I am choosing to live by faith. God is faithful. And the just will live by faith.

Thank You, Lord, for encouraging me by your Word. You are a faithful God worthy of our trust and devotion. I pray for You to work in this situation and bring honor and glory to Yourself. You alone are worthy of praise! Thank You for loving and caring for me and saving me. In Christ's name . . . Amen.

Hebrews 12:1-3

1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (emphasis mine)


Philippians 1:6
"Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

My hope is in the Lord. He has made me glad. I rejoice in the Lord always.





No comments: