"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Friday, May 7, 2010

A Quote and Excerpt to Consider

I've been reading a novel called American Taliban and the main character enjoyed Richard Burton. So I looked him up and found this quote.

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

What do you think of it?

Also I wanted to share this excerpt from a brief article on "True Love Discerns." Any thoughts on what the author says here?

What is best for Christ, His kingdom and for others in it is what I must choose -- and so what is not best I must also reject. Rejecting elements of my culture and even rejecting what other Christians may approve of in lifestyle and worship style is behavior that is easily misunderstood, even scorned by other believers. ... But a willingness to bear the reproach of choosing what is best, according to the dictates of my Spirit- and Word- instructed conscience, is fundamental to the maintenance of a believer's spiritual integrity. In short, I must be true to the light that I possess, whether others possess that light or not, and whether they approve of my perspective or not. For every believer, love for God is demonstrated by delight in His commandments and the careful application of them to life's daily circumstances and relationships. John the Apostle put it succinctly: "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." Determined application of the standard of truth to the obligation of love may actually bring me into righteous disagreement with a fellow believer, and that is not an evil thing. That is an inevitable reality this side of Heaven. As iron sharpens iron, wholesome disagreement in the pursuit of purity in love moves godly believers toward the ideal of Christlikeness, not away from it.

Regardless of the differing conclusions Christians may come to in matters about which they disagree, each believer must struggle to be fully persuaded in his or her own mind about the righteousness of his own thinking and behavior and live his life accordingly, for the glory of Christ alone.


Today's Christian Preacher, Dr. Steve Hankins - Spring 2010 insert

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Richard Burton sounds like quite a character. I read a bit about him once... I think he even managed to pass himself off as a Muslim and go on the hajj!

I like the quote from him. I can relate, because I do think people often created gods in their own image. I don't know that it's true of all, but certainly for some!

re the other excerpt, I think healthy confrontation can definitely be good.

Amber said...

'As iron sharpens iron, wholesome disagreement in the pursuit of purity in love moves godly believers toward the ideal of Christlikeness, not away from it'

*This*. Really, the whole quote, but especially this. It's keeping it wholesome and in the pursuit of love that's hard. :)

Susanne said...

Sarah, yes, I read about his trip to Mecca yesterday and it was quite interesting! He loved adventure for sure! I'm glad you can relate to the quote. I found it worth pondering and sharing. Thank you for your comment!


Amber, ah, hard indeed!! Because usually iron sharpening iron causes way too much friction (conflict) to even consider love! Thanks for your comment!

Unknown said...

I think that first quote is at least half-true. I think that worship is directed at something outside or somehow greater than ourselves. But in deciding what that means I think we don't have a way of understanding that without anthropomorphizing, so we wind up worshiping the things we value in God, which likely are things we value in ourselves.

In the second, I agree with this: "Regardless of the differing conclusions Christians may come to in matters about which they disagree, each believer must struggle to be fully persuaded in his or her own mind about the righteousness of his own thinking and behavior and live his life accordingly", only replacing "Christians" with "people". Very important point he (she? I don't think you said and I'm not familiar with it) makes, though. :)

Susanne said...

Sanil, good to see you! I always enjoy your comments and this was no exception. Thank you for what you pointed out in each of the quotes! :)