"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Monday, August 31, 2015

August Books

Two Many Brides Too Many by Mona Hodgson -- a somewhat predictable book about two sisters who traveled from Maine to Cripple Creek, Colorado, as mail-order brides; an easy read



Skizzer by A. J. Kiesling -- a sister and wife are missing, and Claire and Rainey follow clues Becca left so they track her down through a part of North Carolina and then on to England




Wild by Cheryl Strayed -- my mom's cousin Erik knows I enjoy meeting people on the Appalachian Trail so he recommended this book a few weeks ago. I found it at my library and read with interest about Cheryl's account of walking more than 1,100 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail.  Because in more recent years I've geared my mind to saying such last names with two syllables, I was saying it like Cheryl STRAY YED. I blame transliterated Arabic names for not realizing her last name was just strayed. Like I strayed off the path.




Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes: Cultural Studies in I Corinthians by Kenneth E. Bailey -- this was the book I started on my birthday (April 30) and took my time reading; I finally finished on August 6.  Some parts of it are dry. I am just not that interested in Hebrew parallelism, cameo, homily, ring composition, double-decker sandwich composition and that sort of thing though I know the author mentions it for a reason. I preferred the commentary on the actual cultural part.   Much of that I found quite interesting!

On pg. 115, I like the thoughts on the Trinity, and how in the Christian tradition we have chosen to reflect on how God, his Word and his Spirit form a unity.
The thoughts on slavery (pg. 219), joining people in their weakness (pg. 258), women (pg. 310, 313, and later in the book where I forgot to write down the page numbers) were really good.



She's in a Better Place by Angela Hunt -- Through books I often learn about a variety of topics even if I think the book is just a memoir or just some random fiction book.  In Lynsey Addario's book I learned a few tidbits about photography (like lighting), and this book was no different. Well, I didn't learn about photography, but in the Fairlawn Series, I learned quite a bit about the funeral home industry.  This was the last book of the trilogy, and some aspects of it resonated with me more than I expected.  Parts of this book were mildly amusing while others made me cry.  I could relate to Gerald's prayers for his daughter and his desire for a restored relationship with her. 





Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller -- "nonreligious thoughts on Christian spirituality"  -- this is an odd little book that I found at a book exchange in Saxapahaw.  He writes in a weird way, but I kind of like it.  Many things I could not relate to, but many other things I could.  Parts of it are worth rereading so I may keep this one and read it again sometime.




When Mercy Rains by Kim Vogel Sawyer -- this is actual book 1 in a series that I discovered a few weeks ago when I found book 2 in the new books section of the library.  After having read the second book, I found this one figuring I could read the story that lead up to the one I already read. Haha...get all that?  It was good reading more about Abigail, Suzanne, Alexa, Paul, and more of the Mennonite community there in Kansas.



In Every Heartbeat by Kim Vogel Sawyer -- this story follows three young adults - Pete, Libby, and Bennett - who were friends since their days at an orphanage as they go off to college



Remember Me by Deborah Bedford  -- a pastor discovers an old friend who mysteriously disappeared decades before




Tears in a Bottle by Sylvia Bambola -- a fiction book proclaiming the horrible side of abortion through the tales of a teen, an abortion provider and a lady who'd had an abortion who now worked to help those seeking options after discovering an unwanted pregnancy; some of this sounded as if I were reading a pro-life pamphlet





Miracle at the Higher Grounds Café by Max Lucado -- a rather small book about a lady who takes over her mom's café, and is helped by her guardian angel in disguise




Love Finds You in Snowball, Arkansas by Sandra D. Bricker  -- an easy-to-read, somewhat predictable, but rather cute book about a group of church singles who do all these mostly- outdoor activities for a week, and how one of them in particular (Lucy) does with that.




On Hummingbird Wings by Lauraine Snelling -- a lady leaves NYC to care for her "dying" mother in California and the issues she deals with which, frankly, aren't so bad as her mom is basically pretending.  So different from those who truly have to give up their lives to care for others - and don't have the means and outside help that Gillian has. Not that I'm bitter...




Carolina Gold by Dorothy Love -- set in the Lowcountry of SC after the Civil War, this book is the story of Charlotte, a young lady who tries her hand at running her late father's plantation



Magnolia Wednesdays by Wendy Wax -- I read the first few pages of this book, and thought of not going any further, but I'm glad I did because I grew to really enjoy Vivien, Melanie, Shelby and many of the other characters in this story.  In fact I looked for other books by the same author...




The Fault in Our Stars by John Green -- I'd seen this mentioned as a favorite on Liz's blog, and I finally got it from my local library.  It's a touching story about Life With Cancer - or at least Hazel's struggle with it.  You also meet some of her friends and acquaintances including those from Support Group.  A good read.




While We're Far Apart by Lynn Austin -- this follows the life of Penny as she takes care of her widowed friend Eddie's children while he is fighting against the Nazis; I liked this book




The Mailbox by Mary Beth Whalen -- a rather predictable story, but an OK book especially if you want a fast read.  A recently divorced mom takes her children for their yearly beach vacation where she has visited since she was fifteen. 



Ten Beach Road by Wendy Wax -- after being duped by an investor who stole all their money, three ladies - strangers to each other - who have each been awarded one third of a run-down mansion arrive in Florida to decide the fate of Bella Flora.  Fitting that I finished this book as I was leaving the beach for Southport yesterday (8/30). 



Girlhearts by Norma Fox Mazer -- a YA book that I read in a few hours - most of it on the way home from Southport; the story of Sarabeth the weeks after her mom dies unexpectedly at age 29

No comments: