"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Thursday, April 28, 2022

April Books

I might finish one more book before the end of the month, but I don't think I will as I'm still finishing the one at the bottom of this list and don't plan to read a lot the next couple of days unless our plans fall through. Anyway, I've also been spending time on another Wordle-type game, Sedecordle. Just what I needed! 

 

 

Rewind by Catherine Ryan Howard -- Natalie O'Connor is an Irish Instagram star who follows a mysterious credit card bill to an out-of-the-way place with little cell service and strange cottages along a not-so-pretty beach area. Audrey is a reporter trying to get out of the dreary gossip pages into better stories and when Natalie is reported missing, she heads to Shanamore hoping to find out what happened to Natalie. A pretty good mystery type book.


The Road to Station X by Sarah Baring -- I've read a couple of fiction books about those who worked at Bletchley Park so either this book was referenced in one of those or Amazon noticed my viewing habits and suggested this one. I got it for Christmas, I believe, and decided to read it now. It's subtitled: "from debutante ball to fighter-plane factory to Bletchley Park" and "a memoir of one woman's journey through World War Two." Not the most interesting book I've ever read, but I enjoyed reading about her experiences in that time in history.



What Happened to the Bennetts by Lisa Scottoline -- I've read all of her other fiction books so I put this one on hold awhile back and it was at the library when I went to pick up a few others. The Bennett family are victims of a carjacking gone wrong. So wrong that one of them is killed. When the FBI wants to put them into a witness protection program because the criminals involved are part of a drug family they've been trying to put away, the Bennetts find out how extremely hard it is to cut yourself off from your friends, neighbors, family, and so forth. Pretty interesting if not a bit far-fetched. But fiction often is so...



Lying Room by Nicci French -- The last of their books at my library...now I've read them all, I believe. Neve Connally gets a text from her lover Saul about meeting him at his flat, but when she arrives, she finds him murdered. She then tries to erase the fact that she had ever been involved with him, but later wonders if messing with a crime scene was a good idea.



The Younger Wife by Sally Hepworth -- Tully and Rachel are invited to dinner with their father and his new girlfriend. This despite the fact their parents are still married, their mom is in a care place for people with dementia. Ughhh....Heather is a much-younger woman, even a couple of years younger than they. A pretty good book about abuse in families and coping with it in possibly unhealthy ways.


The Oregon Trail by Rinker Buck -- Rinker decided to ride the Oregon Trail, and lucky him, his brother Nick joins him. I enjoyed learning more about mules, wagons, the "rugged individualism" of the West and how Rinker says the West (well, Wyoming) actually gets a lot of government money per capita so not so much individualism as government (taxpayer) help...what else? The hospitality of the vast majority that they met along the way. There were many interesting bits that I wish I could remember now that I am writing this.  I was made aware of this book from Suzanne's blog post.


Just My Luck by Adele Parks -- Ever wonder how your life could change if you were to win over ten million dollars? Well, Lexi and Jake won over 17 million pounds, and the family faces some difficulty when their long-time best friends, whom they've recently had a falling out with, come forward to claim part of the winnings. Pretty interesting story.



The Living and the Lost by Ellen Feldman -- Millie and her brother David, both German Jews who were able to escape to the United States before Kristallnacht, are back in Berlin working for the Allies, rooting out Nazis from publishing and such. Being back in her hometown is hard because they left behind their parents and little sister for whom Millie is searching, hoping they somehow escaped Hitler's evil. A pretty good story. I might enjoy reading more from this author.



We Were Never Here by Andrea Bartz -- Emily and Kristen have been best friends for over ten years, and each year they try to take a trip to some exotic locale. The only thing: the last two trips, someone winds up dead. Now Kristen moves from Australia back to Emily's hometown, and Emily is feeling out of sorts about why exactly Kristin is back in the States. Pretty good thriller-type book.



Darling Rose Gold by Stephanie Wrobel -- After Patty gets out of prison, she is overjoyed that her daughter, Rose Gold, allows her to live with her until she gets on her feet. After all, Patty was imprisoned because she supposedly poisoned and starved her daughter all those years. Although Rose Gold seems welcoming, the rest of the community does not. Pretty interesting story.



Where Shadows Meet by Colleen Coble -- Zach and Sophie were in town for several days over spring break and Andrew and I went to the mountains so I decided to read this book since I finished my library books just before the kids' arrival. I was so busy with them that it took me days to read this book about a former Amish woman who married outside her faith. Unfortunately her husband whisked her away from her family and state, and was abusive. Years later she is lured back to her former home to solve the mysteries of her parents' murders - and possibly to see if the little girl she was told died at birth was really still alive!



Becoming Josephine by Heather Webb -- I have had this book for awhile (got it for Christmas or my anniversary or ??), and just now read it when I didn't have any library books here. Interesting story of the lady who became Napoleon's wife. Made me want to look up some of these people and read what happened next. 



As Bright as Heaven by Susan Meissner -- When Pauline and Tom decide to leave their hometown for Philadelphia, they leave behind the grave of their infant son who was born with a bad heart. They and their three daughters go to live with Tom's Uncle Fred who owns a funeral home. Later with the Spanish flu hitting the city, the family is inundated with corpses and a need for pine boxes. (If you didn't watch them, the caskets were stolen off the stoop!)  But more than just that happens...flu hits the family and schoolmates and neighbors. This book made me cry as it brought back memories of loved ones and acquaintances lost from our own recent pandemic. I had to look back at when it was written because it was so covid-pandemic-like with talk of churches and schools shutting down, of people wearing masks, even a bit about vaccines that were rapidly developed that I thought it had been written since 2020, but it was published in 2018. Good book.

No comments: