"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Monday, August 31, 2026

August Books

 Caller Unknown by Gillian McAllister -- Simone is on the way to reunite with her daughter who traveled from England to Texas for camp. The two have plans to do some tent camping, but first they have one night in a rental. When Simone wakes up the next morning, she cannot find Lucy, but then a phone rings and she finds out her daughter has been taken! 



A Pair of Aces by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray -- These authors explore a possible relationship between New York's assistant district attorney Eunice Hunton Carter, and the infamous madam, Polly Adler. Was Polly helpful in the DA's case against Lucky Luciano, the Mob boss? I would likely never read books about these two, but I have often enjoyed these authors so I read this one. Pretty interesting story. 



My Days of Work and Play: Beginning in Alamance County and Ending in Guilford County, North Carolina by Viola Andrew Braxton -- When she was 90 years old, Andrew's great-aunt wrote some of her memories and compiled those along with some of her favorite poems, some talks she gave to garden clubs, and a few pages of family trees. All this was put into this book which is just under 100 pages.  Although I wish for much more about her growing up years and her family stories, I learned some interesting things about Aunt Viola, one of which is that she was on the board of the Greensboro Science Museum (a fun place to visit) and that she and her husband donated plants to the Bog Garden (we walked there a couple times a few years ago.)  She was an interesting lady who was just shy of 99 years old when she died in 2004.  



The Wish by Heather Morris -- Inspired by her years working as a social worker at a hospital, this book features Alex who is asked to create something unique for a dying fifteen year old girl, Jesse, who has leukemia. There he meets Kelly the social worker as well as others who keep Jesse company at the hospital. 



Upward Bound by Woody Brown -- I saw this in the new books section of the library, and was intrigued by the author being someone who is non speaking and autistic. This story features chapters written from the perspectives of clients like Walter who is bright and learning yet he's not able to speak as one would wish someone could speak in the "normal" world. It also features other people such as the staff and observers of these people associated with Upward Bound, an adult-daycare for those with intellectual disabilities. Really a good make-me-think book that challenges how I can be better around people who don't see the world the same way I do.  A quick read with a challenging message! 


Love Letters to a Serial Killer by Tasha Coryell -- Hannah is quite the lady. She works for a nonprofit and wonders why she is denied promotions. She dates, but no man wants her after a while. She finds community on a forum after she reads about four women who were found dead in a ravine in Georgia. Looking for answers, she starts writing to William, the man in jail accused of killing these women. Ehhh. 


The Lies We Trade In by Kristine Delano -- Meredith works in retirement portfolios and other such Wall Street things that I don't completely understand.  The author finds interest in these financial topics since she worked in that field. I, on the other hand, didn't find this book all that great, but I did keep reading it thinking I could learn something.  It wasn't all bad just stock trading and such is not my thing. 



The GhostWriter by Julie Clark -- Fifty years ago - when he was 16 -  Vince's siblings died from knife wounds, and there was talk among the community that he was to blame. His daughter Olivia is a ghostwriter looking for her next project.  Work has been hard to come by since she ranted on social media about a famous author, got sued, and, well, who wants to touch someone so tainted?  When her agent contacts her about a horror writer who wants her to ghostwrite for him, she's shocked when she finds out it's her father who wants to talk about what really happened fifty years ago. Pretty good story. 


Blunt Instrument by Amy Bloom -- I almost gave up on this book after Dell aka Della or Dellarobbia (yikes!), the professor-turned-private investigator, was introduced to several faculty members, and I was having trouble keeping all the names and facts straight. Didn't help that I read that section as I was lying on my couch fighting sleep. Also, Dell does a few things that made me say, "what?", but overall she was a pretty likeable character hired to find out what happened to Professor Oliver Bullfinch. I think this might become a series so I'll decide later if I want to read more mysteries featuring Dell. 


The Author Weekend by Laura Zipman -- Faye is a sixtyish author who reluctantly decides to have a weekend with her fans. Her rival Abby holds these weekends regularly in Colorado with a few hundred of her devoted followers. Faye doesn't really like people that much, thus the reluctance, but she wants to keep selling books so she needs her fans to be excited about her. 


The Windsor Affair by Melanie Benjamin -- A pretty fun way- novel form -  to learn more about Wallis Simpson, and the Kings and Queens of England around that time in history. 


Mad Mabel by Sally Hepworth -- Elsie lives in a quiet cul de sac where she deals with her neighbors. There's the little girl Persephone who insists on visiting despite Mabel not caring for children. There's Ishaam with his annoying, yapping dog.  Then there is the day Persephone wants to interview "an old person" for school, and Mabel decides to check on her neighbor. Anyway...that all sounds confusing and whatever, but this was a good story about friends and neighbors, and how annoying little neighbors can make your heart happy - among other things. 


Five by Ilona Bannister -- From the getgo you know someone is going to die by train. It was there, I nearly put this book down because that first bit was too..something. But I kept reading and ended up liking this pretty well. And the author's acknowledgement at the very end (pg. 228) about neurodivergent kids and their parents...I loved that! 


Dissection of a Murder by Jo Murray -- Pretty good mystery-type book. I like that I learned something about solicitors and barristers in the English and Welsh justice system. Did you know that even if a woman has legally changed her name to her husband's last name, that they address her by her maiden name in court? For instance the main character is Leila Kesler, but professionally she is Miss Reynolds (see pg. 54.)  I'm assuming this is correct because the author is a former barrister. Anyway, I also like that they call their opposition their "learned friend."  As in the defense - in this case Lelia - referred to the prosecutor as her "learned friend" and he did the same to her.  In this case Leila is trying to get Jack off his murder charge, but she's up against an experienced prosecutor with the King's Court. He was her pupil master (now called pupil supervisor) once upon a time, and then...he became more. 

No comments: