"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Forgetting & Thinking Like a Servant

Some more thoughts from Improving Your Serve by Charles Swindoll . . .

In the chapter on the "servant as a forgetter," the author quotes missionary Amy Carmichael:

If I say, "Yes, I forgive, but I cannot forget," as though the God, who twice a day washes all the sands on all the shores of all the world, could not wash such memories from my mind, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

"The Lord God promises us we can forget because He personally will take the place of those painful memories." Joseph named his first son Manasseh which means forget. Genesis 41:51 records, "Joseph named his firstborn Manasseh and said, "'It is because God has made me forget all my trouble and all my father's household.'"


What a wonderful truth to realize that GOD can wipe away remembrances of our pasts that haunt us presently. He can make those thoughts go away never to bother us again!

In the chapter of thinking like a servant, Dr. Swindoll reminds us "Living differently begins with thinking differently." The Scripture is clear that we must renew our minds (Romans 12) and let the mind of Christ be in us (Philippians 2). "When Jesus Christ truly takes charge of our minds, bringing our every thought captive to Him, we become spiritually invincible. We operate with supernatural power. We walk under God's complete control." (pg. 91)

"When God is in control of the servant's mind, we realize as never before that life's greatest joy is to give love away." (pg. 93)

"Thinking right always precedes acting right. . . . Servanthood starts in the mind. With a simple prayer of three words: 'Change me, Lord.'" (pg. 95)

We should not pray for others to be servants so they will serve us, but we should pray for people to serve God, beginning with ourselves. Change me so I will serve You, Lord.

1 comment:

Carmen said...

"Joseph named his firstborn Manasseh and said, "'It is because God has made me forget all my trouble and all my father's household.'"

I love that in the Bible God uses names to speak and He even found them important enough to change a person's name if there was a significant event or a personal change. VERY cool.

That said, the part about forgiving and forgetting is hard for me. Perhaps I should examine exactly what Christ did on Calvary and how He so kindly forgets my shortcomings and failures.

I find forgiveness so difficult at times and even more so, I find the balance of forgiving when trust has been broken. How can I forget if common sense says if someone has broken trust, you don't just assume they won't repeat the same.