"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Monday, December 28, 2009

2009 Meme

I found this meme on Niki's blog and thought I'd answer it.


1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?

Went to Syria for twelve days

2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I didn't make any resolutions really. I do recall now that I wanted to live by faith, not fear, and I think I did better than some years, PTL! Next year...I won't read any books that urge me to chase the Wild Goose.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?


No

4. Did anyone close to you die?

No

5. What countries did you visit?

Turkey (airport only) and Syria

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?

a purpose in life

7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

February 10 -- my last day in Syria -- such a sweet, sweet day, but oh so sad!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I think actually getting on that plane for Syria was a huge deal for someone who has never traveled west of Tennessee. :-)

9. What was your biggest failure?

all the times I was selfish

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

got bit by a dog for the first time in my life -- neighbor's Doberman "pinched" me on St. Patrick's Day (I wasn't wearing green!)

11. What was the best thing you bought?

plane ticket to Syria

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Michael's. Back in January he had to get stitches because he put his arm through a glass door. Although it was bleeding terribly and he hates the sight of blood, he didn't panic, but just told himself over and over, "Don't pass out, don't pass out." Thank God, he did well in the ER. His blood pressure got so low and he wanted to sleep, but we had him sing "Blessed Be the Name of the Lord" and that helped!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

My own

14. Where did most of your money go?


health insurance

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

meeting Samer

16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2009?


"God of this City" and "Who Shot the Sheriff" -- the latter we heard in an SUV in Syria on the way home from Krac des Chevaliers

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

i. Happier or sadder?

ii. Sadder.

iii. Thinner or fatter?

iv. Same.

v. richer or poorer?

vi. Same.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

serving and loving others

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

crying

20. How will you be spending Christmas?

it's over for this year

21. How many one-night stands?

none, thanks

22. What was your favorite TV program?

24, I guess

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

I don't hate anyone that I can think of.

24. What was the best book you read?

A Thousand Splendid Suns, Wild Goose Chase and Three Cups of Tea were three of my favorites

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

"I'd Need a Savior"



26. What did you want and get?

books

27. What was your favorite film of this year?

I'm not a movie person and can't recall what I watched except for "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" and "Fireproof."

28. What did you do on your birthday?

Ack, I can't remember what I did. Must not have been that exciting.


29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?

typical Susie mostly, but Arabian Susie earlier in the year

30. What kept you sane?

my faith and God's encouragement

31. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I'm not big on celebs, but if I had to pick I'd say Kurt Warner has always been dear to my heart.

32. What political issue stirred you the most?

The policitians' out-of-control spending and debt they are putting on other people's children

33. Who did you miss?

my Syrian friends

34. Who was the best new person you met?

Wasim, Barea, Dania in Syria and my new blogging friends like Amber, Sarah, Suroor and Wafa' -- I can't remember meeting anyone new here in North Carolina *thinking*

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:

Basically when it seems you are at the end of your rope and feel "where else can I turn?" - this:

66From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

67"You do not want to leave too, do you?" Jesus asked the Twelve.

68Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."



I won't tag anyone, but if you read this and want to do it, feel free. I'd love to read your answers.

4 comments:

Wafa said...

i love reading your answer Susanne, you are an amazing and honest lady, and i hope that the coming year would be much better in all aspects :). btw, you are a beautiful friend, too :)

Suroor said...

Oh I love you ever so much, Susanne. I always liked your comments on my previous blog. There is so much love in you, so much Christ!

This post just highlights your 'wonderfulness.'

And I'm so proud of little Michael.

Hope your hand is OK?

Sarah said...

I am really glad I met you too! (I can't be sure you meant me, of course, as there are so many Sarahs around, but either way I'm glad I met you ;) )

I really hope you find a purpose in life this year. Or find peace with not having an explicit purpose.

Susanne said...

Wafa', aw, thanks. What a sweet comment. :) I don't know how you happened to find me here, but I'm glad that you did. I don't think I've ever had a female Saudi friend before. :) I look forward to better knowing you in the coming year.


Suroor, love you, too! I'm so glad our lives crossed paths so we can learn from each other. Your love for Jesus warms my heart very much! :) Your comment was so sweet. Thank you very much!

Sarah, of course I meant you! :-D I can't remember how I found your blog, but I'm glad I did. Ha, ha...I just remembered your first comment to me was something like "your comment was the first Christian one I've received on this blog." It makes me smile to remember that. :-D Thanks for putting up with me! I've greatly enjoyed the discussions we've had there and continue to have. I learn a lot from you and believe you were sent from God for that very reason. It's great to have friends who encourage you to think and challenge you to bend and grow and change if it's needed.

Love you, my dear friends! Happy New Year! :-)