"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Monday, August 9, 2010

Learning by Listening

"We're so busy arguing with one another that we don't have any energy left to love our neighbors. What would happen if we spent less energy defending ourselves and more energy learning from one another?"  

(Primal by Mark Batterson pg. 105)

 

I love this quote.  It reminds me of the wonderful (and not-so-wonderful) people I've met online the last few years.  I went to school with people very much like myself so it's been nice to meet others from different walks of life.  Of course I find myself in the defensive mode at times. I actually enjoy a bit of debate and sharing views and defending mine (especially as this causes me to know why I believe what I say I do.)  But I also have found what a treasure it is to stop arguing, to stop yakking about my own position on issues and to ask questions, sit back and listen.  What an exciting way to learn!  


To all who have contributed to my learning-by-the-internet adventure, 

 

thank you!

6 comments:

Wafa said...

you know what Susanne, most times i got caught in a heated conversation and arguments but then i think that it was not necessary at all. Who care? it's their opinion to believe what they beleive and i have the same rights. instead of arguing, maybe we should learn to accept each other. cuz true love for our neighbors, friends and families isn't in making them believe what we believe but in understanding and respecting their believe.


(What would happen if we spent less energy defending ourselves and more energy learning from one another?") we will be happier and wiser :)

You are not alone in learning from others. I am learning hugly from YOU honestly.
Thank you, too dear :)

Amber said...

There's something in most people that makes us want to argue our point, even when it's not important. Heck, sometimes, the other person is making the same point, but the phrasing or emphasis is different, and we will argue that! I speak from personal experience here. I like to 'argue' - not in the nasty, shouting match kind of way, but debate. It can sometimes get a bit passionate, especially in person. :) I think it's this deep seated conviction that our perception of reality is the only 'correct' one, and so everyone else has to line up with us in all particulars. However, we can use this as an opportunity to learn, if, even while arguing our point, we are actually willing to listen to the other persons argument, and consider them instead of just dismissing them out of hand. That's the part that I find hardest, most of the time. I come from very pig headed people!

And I'd like to return your thanks, since I've learned so much from *you*! :)

Lat said...

And thank you back,Susanne! I'm also learning from you a little each day.I may or may not agree with you about all the things we've talked and not talked yet.It's all okay because that's the way God creates everyone.

Loved this post of thanksgiving as it so apt for the holy month.Alhamdulillah!

Susanne said...

Wafa', wise words!

I really liked this:

"cuz true love for our neighbors, friends and families isn't in making them believe what we believe but in understanding and respecting their believe."

Happy Ramadan! So glad to have you as my friend. :)

Susanne said...

Amber, I totally agree as I like debating some (OK, sometimes too much) too. :)

Loved this:

"However, we can use this as an opportunity to learn, if, even while arguing our point, we are actually willing to listen to the other persons argument, and consider them instead of just dismissing them out of hand. "


Exactly! What does it hurt to at least consider someone else has a different perspective? I've learned a lot about others and how they approach life by this. I hate when people dismiss me so I should not easily dismiss others. We can learn from each other even if we never fully agree.

Thanks for what you added!Good stuff!

Susanne said...

Lat, thank you! I've enjoyed learning from you. Glad you started a blog. :)

Happy Ramadan! So glad to have you as a friend this year. :D