"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Friday, January 22, 2010

Prayer & Trusting That God Is Bigger Than Giants

From time to time I read things on blogs or in magazines that really touch me somehow. They may challenge me or speak to a situation in my life. Sometimes I take the time to jot them down or copy the quote for another time. I noticed I've collected many of these so here are a few that I've recorded in my Gmail drafts.


"Christ was a man of prayer, even leaving large crowds and seemingly unequaled opportunities to get alone and fellowship with God. And it should be no different with us. In a place where it's so easy to rush around each day preparing ourselves for the future, we need to remember that our future is nothing apart from Him." -- from a college magazine

We must trust that God is in control of our lives

This is where my journey is. Trust. Trust. Trust. Do I TRULY trust? Or like Streams in the Desert states: Quiet tension is not trusting, but simply suppressed anxiety! -- from Angela's blog many weeks ago

And on the theme of trust, there was this referencing the twelve spies Moses sent into the land of Canaan.

How can 12 men, all seeing the same thing, return with such contrasting perspectives? The answer to this question is of utmost importance to us today, because it speaks to the heart of almost every reason why some Christians shrink back in fear while others march forward in boldness. It has nothing to do with a good or poor self-image, or whether or not someone has achieved 'self-actualization.' It has everything to do with our beliefs about God and our thoughts on who He really is.

Ten Israelite spies thought victory was impossible because they believed success was dependent upon their own strength. They thought that the giants were too big, too strong and too many, and that the consequences of fighting the giants would be worse than the consequences of treating God with contempt.

The other two spies believed victory was possible because they knew success was dependent upon God, not themselves. They were convinced God was greater than an entire universe of giants. These two men feared the consequences of disobeying God more than they feared the giants in the land. They put their faith fully in the Lord, and He blessed them for it.


Del Tackett -- Focus on the Family newsletter -- September 2006


I never considered that the ten spies who gave a negative report were somehow "treating God with contempt," did you? I love that the idea that the other spies "believed victory was possible because they knew success was dependent upon God, not themselves. They were convinced God was greater than an entire universe of giants." I want to be like that!








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to stop by to say THANK YOU! For the comments. Your words...For lots of things-most importantly for your blogs. They touch me. I am happy to have found you.
I finally got my computer working yesterday evening and was on here right away-hung out at WWR for a while and mentioned how much I am learning-how I often find myself bouncing back and forth between blogs and yours in definitely one of them that I love to come over too. I am learning so many things I never knew. Things about the Bible and Jesus that I hadn't thought of or learned all my life-really helps me on this journey of mine.

I am truly grateful!
I hope you have a wonderful day! I love you for the sake of Allah Sister-you're a breathe of fresh air in my life in which I must not forget to thank Allah for...

again-very glad to have stumbled upon your blog-truly divine guidance :)

~Shell

Susanne said...

Shelly, thank YOU for your sweet comment. I read your post the other day and was really sad for you. I was hoping my comment wouldn't be out of line, but I wanted to encourage you. Some people are very legalistic (in all religions) so I didn't want you to miss the "good stuff" for fear of keeping all those rules and traditions. I'm glad what I said was appreciated and not something to make you feel worse. :)

I'm really happy God lead us together in the blogging world. I hope we can continue learning and sharing and challenging one another. If there is ever any questions you have or topics that would be helpful, please leave me a note. I'm definitely not saying I have all the answers, but I can share what I do know - if that's helpful. It may just be confusing, but we'll see. :)

Thank you again for your kind words. I think I read that you are not one to comment much on blogs so it means a lot that you left one here for me this morning.

By the way, I think I read of WWR's post that you grew up Baptist. So did I. :)