"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Friday, April 17, 2009

Disappointments & Discouragements

"Disappointment is an emotional response to some failed expectation or desire. . . . [They] are inevitable, and there is nothing we can do to prevent them. Discouragement is different because discouragement is a choice. Here's a simple definition: Discouragement is losing motivation for something in life that brings us fulfillment and purpose. The key difference is that while disappointments come to all of us, we can choose whether we are going to let those setbacks plunge us into discouragement. [It] is a powerful tool of Satan's."

Ways to deal with discouragement:

1. "Confess your trust in God and praise Him for being with you when difficult times come"




Psalm 42:5

5 Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and my God.




2. "Acknowledge God's total control of all things"

3. "Believe that God will turn challenging circumstances to your good"

Psalm 42:8

8 By day the LORD directs his love,
at night his song is with me—
a prayer to the God of my life.


all quotes and verses from Dr. Charles Stanley newsletter from January 2007

No comments: