"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Kite Runner - Afghanistan

Today I finished The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It was such a touching book. Several times I had to wipe tears from my eyes as I imagined myself there, in Afghanistan - a child whose carefree days were over when grownups in the world could not get along. My heart grieved for children like Hassan who were despised for being a different ethnicity, a different religion than the rest. And it hurt for him when he was cruelty treated by the one he adored, the one he considered his best friend even after he was betrayed by him. His response of love and forgiveness and devotion inspire me to become that kind of person. Actually Hassan reminded me of the One I desire to follow.



My heart aches for children like Shorab. No ten year old child should ever have to utter the words: "I want my old life back." I realize this was a novel, but I couldn't help but wonder how much of it were true. How much of this cruelty goes on in more ways and in many more places than this book covered. How my heart grieves right now for those hurting. I have life so good. Indeed God has blessed me and my family while others have very little. I wish I could help somehow.


I believe now I understand why people volunteer to go over there to help. The people capture your heart. God gives you such a special love and tenderness, perhaps part of His compassion for the hurting.

Normally I have been waiting to write book reviews (really just some notes for myself so I can remember what I read) at the month's end, but I had to mention this one now. The end of the month is too far away. I wanted to mention Hassan who blessed my heart with his devotion, and I wanted to mention his son who made my heart ache with his words.

May God give children such as these His joy and love.


2 comments:

Niki said...

I loved The Kite Runner. You have to read A Thousand Splendid Suns. It's by the same author and also takes place in Afghanistan.

Joni said...

I was also going ask if you'd read A Thousand Splendid Suns. It is so good. I want to read The Kite Runner too. Even though it's fiction, I learned things about Afghanistan that I didn't know.