"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Monday, March 9, 2009

Damascus -- Getting to the hostel

Today I will tell you how we got to our hostel in Old Damascus. First of all, here is a view from the street which runs in front of the hostel. Yes, that's a horse-drawn cart among the crowd of taxis and mini-buses and other vehicles. I would enjoy peering out of the window just to see who was happening by at any given moment.



This is the long way to our hostel. It's about ten minutes from the busy road you just saw. Typically taxis would drop us off at Bab Sharqi (the tall white thing in the center of first picture),



and we'd walk down these narrow streets in the Bab Touma neighborhood


which cars and buses would brave at times.



Welcome to The Damascus Hostel! This is probably the most interesting place I've ever stayed in. We met people from Australia, Turkey, the United States, British Columbia, Lattakia, London, Scotland, Norway, Denmark, Germany, France and Amsterdam.


The other way to our hostel was a bit more exciting. Here Andrew will demonstrate. Starting at the busy road (pic 1),


climb over the fence




ring for the ladder if it's not already down & then climb up here.



Our room was in the tower. That is the window I'd look out of to see the sights on the busy street below. One of my favorite memories was seeing cleaners washing the street with a big water truck around 12:30 or 1 AM. I wish I'd been able to photograph that, but I figured I'd only get a glare from the window.

Later I'll share pictures from within these hostel walls, but now you know how to get into the place.

Pictures from Damascus, Syria
January/February 2009

1 comment:

coconut wireless said...

Aloha from Kauai
I have just found your amazing blog on Syria and beginning to browse it.
I have been in touch with Raymond at the Damascus Hostel.
We are going to Syria and Lebanon in June and are trying to figure out how much we can do on our own with public transportation and perhaps a private car/tour.
I was wondering if we could e-mail if I have some questions?
my e-mail is kauaimalahine@gmail.com
Mahalo
traveling with aloha
the coconut wireless
My web page is http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/4b8d7/