"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Job and Jehoram

Oh, I forgot to share that I started the book of Job today. In the month of May, I read quite a few Old Testament books (Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, I & II Samuel, I & II Kings, Daniel, I & II Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah and Esther). Yes, I know I skipped Ruth and inserted Daniel in the "wrong" spot, but those are the ones I read last month.

Job is a pretty amazing fellow. I was reading how messengers came to him and delivered bad news over and over and over, yet Job's response was to fall on the floor in worship to the Lord. Wow. Shall we accept only goodness from the Lord and not trouble? What an attitude. I wish I had more of it. Not that I want all those things to happen to me so I can practice, but ya never know what God has in store for us each day.

I still have things to post from II Chronicles. I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I got out of this book. Here is something that stuck out to me from II Chronicles 21. What an ending to a wicked man's life.

18 After all this, the LORD afflicted Jehoram with an incurable disease of the bowels. 19 In the course of time, at the end of the second year, his bowels came out because of the disease, and he died in great pain. His people made no fire in his honor, as they had for his fathers.

20 Jehoram was thirty-two years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem eight years. He passed away, to no one's regret, and was buried in the City of David, but not in the tombs of the kings.


Your ending recalled as painful and your passing away being "to no one's regret." What a way to be remembered even thousands of years from when this event occurred.

Oh, to be like Job instead of Jehoram.


No comments: