"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Monday, June 15, 2009

Prayer of Jabez - More Ministry

In his prayer, Jabez asks God to "enlarge his territory." In his book, The Prayer of Jabez, Bruce Wilkinson equates this as someone wanting more of an influence or ministry for God. I am at this place in my life right now so this especially struck a chord with me. I like this that he wrote:

God is looking for people who want to do more ..., because sadly, most believers seem to shrink from living at this level of blessing and influence. For most of us, our reluctance comes from getting our numbers right, but our arithmetic completely wrong. For example, when we're deciding what size territory God has in mind for us, we keep an equation in our heart that adds up something like this:

My abilities + experience + training + my personality and appearance + my past + the expectations of others = my assigned territory.

No matter how many sermons we've heard about God's power to work through us, we simply gloss over the meaning of that one little word through. Sure, we say we want God to work through us, but what we really mean is by or in association with. . . . Our God specializes in working through normal people who believe in a supernormal God who will do His work through them. What He's waiting for is the invitation. That means God's math would look more like this:

My willingness and weakness + God's will and supernatural power = my expanding territory. (pg. 40-41)



That's really something to be quite joyful about because when I focus on equation #1 -- which I do all the time -- I really feel discouraged because of all the qualities I lack.

No comments: