"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Monday, June 8, 2009

What do you take for granted?

In Wild Goose Chase, the author states that "we take constants for granted" (pg. 42) and gives examples that include even God! Because He is constantly loving unconditionally, faithfully blessing us and just being our kind Sustainer, we often take God for granted. Other things we take for granted may include the air we breathe, health, freedom, food, even sunrises.

I wonder if people who live in majestic places such as this take it for granted. I hope not! But I've met people from Asheville who told me they just took living in the beautiful mountains for granted. I guess they grew up there and didn't realize the specialness of it until they met us flat-landers.

Here is something I read from chapter 3, "Dictatorship of the Ordinary," last night:

"You never know when or where the Wild Goose is going to invade the routine of your life." (pg. 45)

Mark gives the example of Moses tending sheep on the backside of the desert. Here was a man miraculously saved at his birth and schooled in the palaces of Egypt yet he fled as a fugitive after he killed an Egyptian taskmaster. So Moses fled and tended sheep for forty years. I wonder if he ever thought God would use him. It is neat to think of Moses going through his routine day and ending up talking with God in a burning bush! How his life changed that day and likely he never saw it coming!

So I am anticipating God invading the routine of my life. It's a wonderful thought!

No comments: