"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Will of God, Divine Appts., Following the Wind, Open Doors

More from Wild Goose Chase

"We put so much pressure on ourselves, as if the eternal plans of almighty God are contingent upon our ability to decipher them. The truth is, God wants to reveal them more than we want to know them. And if we think one misstep can frustrate the providential plans of the Omnipotent One, then our God is way too small. Not only does God want us to get where God wants us to go more than we want to get where God wants us to go, but He is awfully good at getting us there. He may not always reveal His plans how or when we want Him to. But when we chase the Wild Goose, our future becomes His responsibility. 'In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.'" (pg. 129)

Wow! That's freeing! I think I really had that mindset that it was up to ME somehow to figure out God's mind and, ooops!, I'd better not make a wrong step or I could never be redeemed... well, I could, but I couldn't do what God had planned for me originally. Hmmm.

I love the part where Mark discusses divine appointments. In referring to one that happened while a group from his church was visiting a Spanish-speaking country, Mark writes, "God knows no spatial or chronological limitations. Setting up divine appointments in a different hemisphere is as simple for God as setting up a divine appointment with your next-door neighbor." (pg. 132)

I can attest to that since God brought people into my life whom I never thought to look for. And He brought them in such an unexpected way. And while we may be in the same hemisphere, the Atlantic Ocean and the continent of Africa separate us!

Reminding us of Jesus' words about the Spirit's connection to the wind, Mark writes: "Chasing the Wild Goose is recognizing which way the wind of the Spirit is blowing and responding to it. It requires a moment-by-moment sensitivity to the Wild Goose. And you have to trust His promptings more than you trust your own plans. Instead of getting frustrated by fighting the wind, you appreciate the fact that something uncontrollable and unpredictable will get you where God wants you to go." (pg. 134)

Remember the verse from Revelation 3 about open doors (emphasis mine):

7"To the angel of the church in Philadelphia write:
These are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open. 8I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Mark!

No comments: